Friday, October 1, 2010

The Marathon Begins!

Every year during the month of October, I endeavor to watch one horror film a day. Starting today, this will be the seventh year in a row in which I've done just this. It's an exciting and exhausting time for me and I hope to give you a little review of each movie watched after they happen. So, let's get started, eh?

The House of the Devil
2009

I watched and reviewed this film last October and haven't visited it since. I loved it then and wondered if it would hold up on a repeat viewing and, since my pal Paul is going to be stuck watching some of these movies against his will since he's staying with me, I wanted to run it past him, too, to see if he liked it.

HOD is looking like it's going to be one of "those" movies for me. There are plenty of movies that I like but never really watch again but there are "those" that I return to, time after time. I call them classics. It's funny, but when I was younger and plowing through so many genre movies I'd never seen before, I found a lot of "those" movies but, as I've gotten older, I've found less and less of them. When I do, though, I get all excited, like back in the old days, when I first discovered something like Susperia.

So, is HOD one of "those" movies? It's getting there. I suppose I'll have to see it a few more times before I can make that statement, but I have to say, I really love this movie. It's atmospheric, it pulls no punches, and it tells a cool story in a retro-style that not only fits the subject, but I think enhances it. From the freeze-frames to the music to the zooms all the way to the carefully composed shots, if you're a fan of 70's and early 80's horror films, I can guarantee you'll love this movie.

If you haven't seen it yet, get to it. Now.

And yeah, Paul liked it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment