Tuesday, October 19, 2010

9teen: Rawr!









ANIMALS

(2010)

Well, okay. First off, I read the book this is based on a long time ago when it came out. The book was great, written by some of my favorite authors, Mr. John Skipp and Craig Spector. Also, the screenplay was written by Mr. Spector, so it had a lot to live up to. First, a brief plot synopsis.

A burnt-out former football star living in a nowhere small town working a nowhere job gets approached one night by a hot vixen at the local bar. She goes home with him and they have crazy sex and, during this nutzoid bonking, she bites him. Uh, oh. Turns out she's kinda like a werewolf and she's passed on her infection to him (See what happens when you hook-up in small town bars with vixens!). She gets him all ready to skip town with her when her old lover/possessor/master shows up to reclaim his babe. Things get hairy after that.

I dunno what to say. I liked the movie. Once it got passed the first ten minutes it really settled in to its story. I liked the actors, I liked the gore, and I pretty much liked everything else. But...

I don't know if it's the fault of the director or the editor or if they were just trying to pad the running time, but there's an awful lot of slow motion walking and flashbacks to what we've already seen. Included in these are some cool, trippy visual effects, but all the shaking and weird editing kinda got on my nerves at times.

So I recommend this movie, but just don't get caught in some of the low-budget limitations. Because, sorry to say, an angry guy walking off in slow motion isn't dramatic, it's just funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment