Sunday, January 1, 2012

Best (non-horror) Movies of 2011

Okay, I always want to do this, but get lazy and let it fall by the wayside. I am going to list my favorite movies of 2011 below. You can agree or disagree, but I don't think, if you watch these films, you'll be bored!

5. X-Men First Class
I know you think I've lost my mind, but this movie was a lot of fun. Was it historically accurate? Uh, no, but who cares? It had mutants fighting, a great script, some fantastic actors, and a really cool style. I think it's the best of the X-Men movies, easily.

4. Super 8
This maybe could have made my horror list of top fives, but I chose instead to put it here. So if you don't like that, you can stuff it, because this movie was all I love about films. It was warm, funny, quirky, scary, and mostly, fun. Great direction, great story, and the acting was terrific. Just a really, really good time.

3. 13 Assassins
Oh, hell yeah! This was something else. First hour, all plot and set-up, introducing the characters and their cause. The second hour, pure carnage. This was a classic Samurai film, if you like yours bloody. And I do. Just an excellent movie, all the way around, and could easily be my number one.

2. Drive
My, my, yes! Stylish, engaging, thrilling...man, I could go on and on. If you like noir, you'll love this. If you like crime movies, you'll love this. If you like movies, period, you'll love this. Like my top 3, depending on the day, this could be my favorite of the year.

1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
A lot of folks have a problem with this film. Some say it shirks the human characters, making it unengaging. Some find fault with logic and plot points. Well, they just don't get it. This movie tickled the eight year old boy in me pink. The humans aren't the point, are they? They are used to bring us into the story, but once Caesar makes his first appearance, it's his movie. And the ape's. Lots of subtle setting up for the future, including the dribbles of info about the astronauts that go missing, make this a geeky delight, as well. If you didn't like it, give it another try, and if you did, well, you're alright in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment